Srisailam has been playing a prominent role in our religious, cultural and social history from ancient times.
The epigraphical evidence reveals that the history of Srisailam began with the Sathavahanas who were the first empire builders in South India. The earliest known historical mention of the Hill - Srisailam, can be traced in Pulumavis Nasik inscription of 1st Century A.D.
The Sathavahanas, the Ikshavakus, the Pallavas, the Vishnukundis, the Chalukyas, the Kakatiyas, the Reedy Kings, the Vijayanagara Emperors and Chatrapathi Shivaji where among the emperors who were devotees of God Mallikarjuna Swamy.
Prataparudra of Kakatiya Dynasty contributed a lot for the improvements of this Kshetram and granted Paraganas for its maintenance. Ganapathideva spent 12000 Golden Nanyas for the maintenance of the temple.
The period of Reddi Kings was the Golden Age of Srisailam that almost all rulers of the dynasty severed this temple. In 14th Century Prolaya Vema Reddi of Reddy Dynasty constructed stepped path-way to Srisailam and Pathalaganga (Here the river Krishna is called as Pathalaganga) and Anavema Reddi constructed Veera Siromandapam in which the Veerasaiva devotees cut off their hands, tongue, limbs with devotion to attain moksha, blessings and the realisation of the God. This practice is known as Veeracharam.
The Second Harihararaya of Vijayanagara Empire constructed the Mukhamantapam of Swamy shrine and also a Gopuram on Southern Side of the temple.
In 15th Century, Sri Krishnadevaraya Constructed the Rajagopuram on Eastern side and Salumantapas on both sides of the temple. Chatrapathi Shivaji constructed a Gopuram on northern side in the year 1667 A.D.
For more details visit www.srisailamtemple.com